The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Robbie Koenig’s response to this Rafael Nadal hot shot sums it up. “Oh, STOP IT!” I sure wish I could do that on a bum knee.
• Peter Bodo checks in with Janko Tipsarevic, and the thoughtful Serb is all about K.I.S.S. these days: Keep It Simple, Stupid.
This streamlined view of life and the discipline it requires isn’t necessarily inherent; Tipsarevic says he learned much of it from his coach, Dirk Hordorff. “I was over-thinking stuff and I was asking too many unnecessary questions,” the player said. “At the end of the day, they were stupid questions. Dirk taught me how to simplify things.”
• Not that it’s news to anyone, but Rafa loves to golf.
Nadal is plenty happy on the golf course. “Most important,” he said, “is you can spend three, four, 4 1/2 hours with good company, with friends, with family. Spending time with friends, family, that’s great. That makes the round good.”
• Rebecca Marino, who peaked at No. 38 last year, has decided to step away from tennis for a while, citing mental and physical fatigue.
• Spain is looking for the next Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, and it sounds like the country has prospects in the likes of Garbine Muguruza Blanco, Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino and Paula Arias.
• Non-tennis: The disturbing world of British TV commercials.