The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: In case you missed it, do take the time to watch the highlight reel from last night’s match between Victoria Azarenka and Angelique Kerber. It was a barn-burner.
• No surprise here: Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week’s Paris Masters and the ATP World Tour Finals in London. The only official event left this season that he has not officially withdrawn from is the Davis Cup final between Spain and the Czech Republic. He is still scheduled to play an exhibition in Abu Dhabi at the end of December.
“It’s disappointing for me to miss the last two tournaments of the season in Paris and London, but it doesn’t come as a surprise. I will hopefully resume my tennis practice soon since I am making good progress with my recovery from injury. I am not ready to compete in time for these events so I will continue my recovery in Mallorca and work hard to be back as soon as possible.”
• As if Azarenka-Kerber wasn’t enough for your Wednesday ticket in Istanbul, Maria Sharapova and Agnieszka Radwanska threw in another epic, with Sharapova winning 5-7, 7-5, 7-5 in three hours and twelve minutes. Sharapova hasn’t lost a three-plus hour match since 2007.
• Rafa was in Valencia this week (with his good buddy Juan Monaco) to help say goodbye to Juan Carlos Ferrero.
• Roger Federer is the most popular athlete in Australia. Watch out, Hisense Arena. You might get renamed in a few years.
• Andy Murray was the question to an answer on Jeopardy.
• Congrats to Robby Ginepri, who got married this weekend in Atlanta, Ga.
• Gotta love all the homemade signs brought into the WTA Championships by Turkish fans.
• Canadian junior Filip Peliwo gets fashionable.
• Non-tennis: The gluten-free food market is expected to grow to $6.6 billion by 2017. Thanks, Novak!