The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Maria Sharapova is already in Melbourne practicing on Rod Laver Arena.
• The always witty Alix Ramsey dishes some dirt on a few unnamed tennis stars. Here’s one anecdote on how some players get pretty used to not picking up the tab.
Another Wimbledon champion agreed to an interview request from a German newspaper and suggested that he meet the reporter for Sunday lunch. When the hopeful hack arrived, she discovered the Wimbledon wonder had brought his wife, her immediate family, his manager and agent and a few friends to make a party of 11. They ate and drank heartily before leaving the hack with a bill the size of Spain’s national debt. And precious few quotes.
• Interesting to note that John Tomic isn’t in Perth coaching his son at Hopman Cup. He’s home in Queensland recuperating from an illness. Meanwhile, Tomic has gone 3-0 in singles play. Coincidence?
• Alicia Molik, Rennae Stubbs, Nicole Bradtke and Todd Woodbridge are all vying for the Australia Fed Cup captaincy.
• Dirk Nowitzki loves tennis. In this interview with USA Today, the Dallas Mavericks forward reveals he’s a big Rafael Nadal fan, and he hopes Andrea Petkovic can get back on court soon.
• Juan Martin del Potro gets a mural in his hometown of Tandil.
• Non-tennis: The perfect guide to ordering dim sum. Just print it out and take it with you next time.