A roundup of what you may have missed overnight from Victoria Azarenka’s 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Li Na in the Australian Open final.
ESPN’s opening promo for the final. Who knew its over the top dramatics were actually appropriate for what was about to unfold?
After taking the first set, Li rolled her left ankle and went tumbling to the ground:
After a 10-minute break for an Australia Day fireworks celebration in the third set, play resumed with Li falling and slamming her head on the court:
Australian Open TV’s highlight reel:
Match point and celebration:
• Azarenka is the first woman since 1979 to successfully defend her maiden Slam title.
• Azarenka became the eighth woman to repeat at the Australian Open.
• Azarenka becomes the fifth active player to hold two or more major titles, joining Serena and Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova.
• Azarenka now has 21 straight wins in January dating to 2011.
• For the second time, Li has lost in a Slam final after winning the first set.
• Li won only one one game after the 10-minute break for fireworks.
• Li and Azarenka hit 85 unforced errors for the match.
• Azarenka has a 355-point lead over Serena Williams for the No. 1 ranking.
• Li on why she tripped so many times:
“Because I’m stupid.”
“How many years I didn’t falling down in the court? I mean, it was amazing today. It was twice on the court even. Maybe like 5 percent I was falling down again. What are you doing on the court, like juniors.”
• Li on her concerns after hitting her head on the court in the third set:
“Two second I couldn’t really see anything. It was totally black. So when the physio come, she was like, ‘Focus on my finger.’ I was start laughing. I was thinking, ‘This is tennis court, not like hospital.’”
• Azarenka on the lukewarm crowd reception during the final:
“Well, I was expecting way worse, to be honest actually.”
• Azarenka on what she learned from the whole medical time-out debacle:
“How to talk a lot on TV. Way more than any win I ever got.”
“What happened with Sloane, it was a big deal, for sure. It came out as a big deal. It wasn’t a big deal on the court.”
• Azarenka on the distractions over the last 48 hours:
“It isn’t easy, that’s for sure, but I knew what I had to do. I had to stay calm. I had to stay positive. I just had to deal with the things that came onto me. And that’s pretty much it. I was actually really happy that I went through so many things knowing that I can still produce the tennis that I can and keep the focus that I can. It just motivates me to be a better player.”
"You don't like me. You really, really don't like me." – Victoria Azarenka—
Howard Bryant (@hbryant42) January 26, 2013
Red Foo: "It's a dream come true." Oh boy…Vika then claims he takes his tennis racket to the bathroom. Do the kids still use TMI?—
Jon Wertheim (@jon_wertheim) January 26, 2013
RedFoo just danced into Vika's Channel 7 interview. Presenter just asked them if RedFoo's tennis racket sleeps between them. "No"—
Matt Cronin (@TennisReporters) January 26, 2013