The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Horacio Zeballos with some great anticipation in this overhead from the baseline.
• Check out this video tweeted by Darren Cahill of Steffi Graf hitting alongside Daniela Hantuchova. That footwork is German precision personified.
• Reuters reports that a Parisian administrative tribunal has blocked Roland Garros’ much-needed $356 million expansion plan, finding that local residents weren’t properly consulted and the fee paid by the FFT was too low. Needless to say, this is a huge blow to the French Open, where the cramped grounds can make for an inefficient and uncomfortable experience.
• From the BNP Paribas Open, details on its increased coverage plans for the tournament, including BNP Paribas Open radio, which will bring in some solid on-air talent from the BBC, ITV and Tennis Channel. No expense spared there.
• From her Facebook page, here’s a video of Victoria Azarenka’s exploits in Brazil, which included talk-show duties, chugging some prematch Red Bull and getting dancing tips from Serena Williams.
• Self-promotion: I do a weekly podcast with fellow tennis writer Ben Rothenberg called “No Challenges Remaining,” which tries to be a funny and informative look at the week in tennis. This week we discuss (among other things) Rothenberg’s reporting on Rebecca Marino’s experience with Internet abuse and how that quickly turned into a story about her retirement from tennis. You can listen via iTunes or from the main site.
• Non-tennis: Catching up with The JCrew Crew, with old J. Crew catalogs being used to tell the story of intrigue, espionage and murder.