The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Hot Shot. ‘Nuff said.
• Juan Martin del Potro’s camp confirmed to SI.com that Del Potro flew home to Argentina after his opening-round loss at the Sony Open to deal with “personal problems.” His people said the problems aren’t serious, but they did cause him to lose focus when he got to Miami. Hope everything is all right for him.
• How brutal was the Miami heat over the weekend? SI.com got confirmation from the WTA that Lauren Davis (fatigue) and Alize Cornet (heat illness) returned to the locker room in wheelchairs Sunday after Cornet won 2-6, 6-3, 6-2 on a stifling afternoon. The umpire issued a 10-minute heat break between the second and third sets. And, as if the match couldn’t get weirder, Davis had to call a medical timeout in the third set after getting stung by a wasp. According to this French report, Cornet had to lie down in the grass for a few minutes after the match before a wheelchair came for her. She asked her coach whether she won or lost when they got back to the locker room.
• From the Telegraph UK, the ATP is searching for an internal candidate to replace chairman Brad Drewett, who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease, and wants to have someone in place by the U.S. Open.
• In case you missed it, Serena Williams bypassed some bad Miami traffic by hopping on a bike to get to her third-round match.
• And a blackout delayed play for about an hour on Friday night at Crandon Park.
• Nice to see Robbie Koenig back in the commentary booth after being hospitalized in January when his appendix burst while flying home from the Australian Open. Here he is with a cool breakdown of Novak Djokovic’s third-round win.
• This is one weird pair of questions posed to Maria Sharapova:
Q. I’m amazed at how your tennis has evolutionated [sic]. Do you think your screams have evolutionated as well with your tennis?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, I don’t.
Q. You think you scream the same as the first time you came to Miami?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: That’s not for me to judge. It’s more for you.
• Andrea Petkovic blogged for USA Today last week.
• A preview of Novak Djokovic’s commercial for Uniqlo’s Airism underwear line.
• Nice story in the TC Palm on USTA coach Kathy Rinaldi.
• John Isner weighs in on Ryan Harrison’s colorful photoshoot for Men’s Journal.
I wasn’t the biggest fan. I thought he was pretty brave putting it out there. He’s caught some heat and rightfully so. He stood there and he’s taking it in good fun. In the future, he’ll probably be able to make fun of me pretty good about something coming up.
• Non-tennis: From Jezebel, here’s a video of Joseph Gordon-Levitt on Jeopardy! in 1997.