The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: NHL Goalie Jose Theodore makes a solid catch off a Rafael Nadal shank at the Rogers Cup on Sunday. He also made me think Ashton Kutcher had good hands.
• Andy Murray felt “a bit like a loser” before winning the U.S. Open last year.
“I think the last year has almost changed my perception of myself,” Murray said as he prepared to make his debut at this week’s Cincinnati Masters. “When you lose a lot of big matches, and even when you’re being successful in other tournaments, you’re still getting asked about why you aren’t winning the big, big matches. It does make you feel a bit like a loser.
“That’s obviously changed in the last year or so,” he added. “I think when I’m in those sort of positions in the future – in the semis or finals of Grand Slams – I should have a bit more confidence in myself, and hopefully that will help me.”
• Jimmy Connors sent out this tweet after his new partnership with Maria Sharapova got off to a rocky start:
Every good round starts with a bogey– Not the start we wanted, so back to work tomorrow.—
Jimmy Connors (@JimmyConnors) August 14, 2013
• Ryan Sweeting is dating Kaley Cuoco? Ryan Sweeting is dating Kaley Cuoco.
• Michael Chang weighs in on this year’s Wimbledon champions.
I think it’s a great story for both Andy Murray obviously but also for Marion Bartoli. The UK has been waiting a long time for another Wimbledon champion and Marion Bartoli is one of those Cinderella stories where no one expected her to win. She’s a very sweet person but works extremely hard and I’m glad she is now a Grand Slam champion!
• 2012 Olympic mixed-doubles champions Max Mirnyi and Victoria Azarenka will get their own stamp in Belarus.
• From SI.com’s Bruce Jenkins: The ethics of getting hit by a shot.
• Non-tennis: Tina Fey is developing a workplace comedy for NBC. Wait…wasn’t that 30 Rock?