LONDON — Stanislas Wawrinka on Friday joined Rafael Nadal in advancing to the semifinals of the ATP World Tour Finals from Group A.
Wawrinka earned his spot by first beating David Ferrer 6-7 (3), 6-4, 6-1 and then watching Nadal eliminate Tomas Berdych 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 in the final round of group play. Nadal had already clinched his berth in the semifinals before Friday’s match, but the victory enabled him to win the group and avoid having to face Group B winner Novak Djokovic next. Wawrinka will play Djokovic, while Nadal will meet the winner of Saturday’s match between Juan Martin del Potro and Roger Federer.
Here are the qualification scenarios for singles and doubles heading into the final day of round-robin play:
Singles Group A
• Rafael Nadal has won the group.
• Stanislas Wawrinka has qualified second.
Singles Group B
• Novak Djokovic has won the group.
• The winner of Saturday’s match between Juan Martin del Potro and Roger Federer will qualify second.
Doubles Group A
• Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo have won the group.
• The winner of Saturday’s match between Bob and Mike Bryan and Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski will qualify second.
Doubles Group B
• Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares have won the group.
• David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco have qualified second.