The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Photo: Michael Chang has joined Kei Nishikori’s team for 2014 as an advisory coach.
• Martina Navratilova speaks out against the IOC, which has warned athletes not to make any political statements in Sochi protesting Russia’s anti-gay policies.
“I think we can say that sports and politics are inextricably combined – they go hand in hand – and that’s where my disappointment was with the IOC,” said the 57-year-old American
“It said sports and politics don’t mix, which is completely contrary to everything that’s been happening.
“So that’s where my disappointment is, more than with anybody else, with the IOC for really putting their head in the sand and not wanting to make any waves.”
• The WTA tournament in Brussels, Belgium is folding. It will be replaced in the calendar by the WTA’s tournament in Nuremberg, Germany.
• Novak Djokovic just hanging out with his little brother.
• Andy Roddick reveals his jeweler preference. I guess we can assume from where Brooklyn Decker’s engagement ring came.
• Roger Federer made The Onion’s list of the year’s top quotes.
• Jeff Pearlman interviews James Blake
• If you’re craving live tennis, Tennis Australia has a high quality stream of the Australian Open play-off here.
• Non-tennis: A corgi and a carousel illustrate life’s existential struggle.